Santa Clarita In-Home Tutoring is proud to represent tutors who are well versed and competent with students with disabilities of all kinds covered by an IEP or 504 Plan.

What is an IEP?

IEP is an acronym that stands for Individualized Education Program (or Plan). An IEP is a written legal document (or “plan”) that is developed by a group of people (including school staff (classroom teacher, evaluator) and parents for a child that has been determined eligible for Special Education services. Each IEP serves as a map that lays out the program of special education instruction, supports, and services kids need to make progress and succeed in school.

Who gets IEPs

IEPs are a part of public education. They’re given to eligible kids, ages 3 and up, who attend public schools (including charter schools).

Eligibility for an IEP varies by school district. Generally, a student must:

  • Have one or more of the 13 conditions that are covered under IDEA, which includes learning disabilities like dyslexia and dyscalculia, health impairments like ADHD, or Autism Spectrum to name a few.
  • Require services to thrive in school

Private schools don’t offer IEPs. But students in private school may be able to get special education through what’s known as a service plan (also called an Individual Services Plan). Some private schools can work with the local district office to send out an evaluator. This varies by district and available funding

There are no IEPs in college. But eligible students often can still get accommodations through college disability services.

Why get an IEP?

After determining a student’s strengths and challenges, families and schools use the IEP to create a program of services and supports tailored to meet the student’s needs. Having an IEP gives students, families and schools legal protections, too. It lets families be involved in decisions that impact their child’s education.

IEPs are ongoing. Each child’s IEP must be reviewed annually (or sooner, if necessary) to determine whether the goals are being achieved and must be revised as needed.

How to get an IEP

The first step to acquiring an IEP for a student is to determine that they are eligible for special education services by requesting an evaluation either at school (for free) or from a private company. If the student is determined to be eligible for an IEP, a meeting will take place that will involve the parent, and any involved school professionals like the teacher, a speech and language pathologist, or an occupational therapist. Once a student is determined eligible, the IEP and the services and/or accommodations outlined in should begin within 30 days.

IEP vs. 504 Plan

Both plans offer help for students who may need specialized help or accommodations in school. IEPs relate to children who require Special Education Services, while 504 plans are for children who may need certain accommodations or services within the General Education environment. 504 Plans cover a much wider range of disabilities than the 13 covered in the IDEA act relating to IEPs.